How to Support Women’s Digestive Health Issues*
Does it seem like more female clients than male clients come to you for help with gastrointestinal symptoms?
Certain GI issues are more prevalent in women, particularly after menopause. Researchers have noted differences related to sex in both GI and somatic symptoms in individuals experiencing certain digestive issues. And, according to the American College of Gastroenterology, women experience numerous differences throughout the digestive process:
- They’re more likely to be “super tasters,” and they are more sensitive to various types of stimulation throughout the GI tract.
- Women’s esophageal sphincters squeeze closed more forcefully, especially after drinking fluids, and they are more likely to experience feelings of having a “lump in the throat.”
- They secrete less gastric acid, so occasional heartburn may not cause as much damage.
- Their stomachs empty of food more slowly, which may explain why more women experience occasional nausea and bloating.
- Until their elder years, women’s large intestines also empty more slowly, with less squeeze pressure of the anal sphincter. Additionally, their large intestine is shorter.
In 2015, researchers suggested that differences in nerve cells within GI tract are responsible for the increased frequency of certain digestive issues. Women may also be more likely than men to discuss GI symptoms with their health care provider.
In the last few years, the idea that women’s health complaints are not taken as seriously as men’s has gained traction. Understanding these differences can go a long way in building trust with your clients.
Learn more about our exceptional formulas for the digestive system:
Acid Calm™ for occasional heartburn, with PepZinGI® zinc carnosine, enzymes to aid digestion and soothing marshmallow root and gotu kola.*
Apple Cider Vinegar contains the “mother” and promotes healthy digestion and metabolism.*
Betaine HCl offers fast-acting relief for occasional heartburn and indigestion due to low stomach acid and includes vegan acid-stable protease (to naturally activate pepsin).*
Complete Digestion™ is our digestive enzyme formula for mild to moderate digestive discomforts.* Includes 125 million CFU shelf-stable probiotics.
Critical Digestion™ is our maximum strength digestive enzyme formula, to eliminate occasional discomforts like gas, bloating and indigestion.* With 1 billion CFU guaranteed-potency probiotics.
Enzyme Science Digest Gold™ is a high potency, probiotic-free formula to help break down all the components of a meal.*
GI Motility Complex™ supports slowed gastric emptying and transport of food through the GI tract, with a clinical studied blend of triple-standardized artichoke and ginger extracts.*
GI Soothe™ relieves digestive irritation and occasional heartburn by forming a barrier and buffer for gastric acid with algin from seaweed, prickly pear extract and buffering agents.*
Intolerance Complex™ provides specialized enzymes for the most common food intolerances (including gluten, casein, lactose, complex carbohydrate and phenol sensitivities).*
Lypo Optimize™ provides a high-potency lipase blend to promote quick and efficient fat digestion.*